Auto Insurance Subrogation Specialist II
- LocationQuezon City, Philippines
The Subrogation Specialist II is primarily responsible for the recovery of subrogation claims from insurance carriers and self-insured entities. These claims can be carrier to carrier, consumer, or medical/PIP claims. Responsibilities include working with clients, insured, claimants, and others, appropriately documenting information to achieve recovery of these subrogation claims. Cases are managed in accordance with state regulations and prescribed recovery best practices.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The Subrogation Specialist II may perform some or all of the duties listed below:
1. Respond professionally and promptly to telephone calls and emails from client brokers, insured, general adjusters, claimants, witnesses, attorneys, and underwriters.
2. Review files using a diary system in order to handle correspondence.
3. Review files for adequacy of investigation and measure of damages to determine whether to pursue arbitration, collection or litigation.
4. Identify the difference between medical damages and property damages in order to recognize the time limits of state specific statute regulations.
5. Prepare and review the initial content of each file while documenting and tracking all ongoing verbal and written correspondence in the AS400 system as well as applicable client systems.
6. Process letters and authority requests.
7. Process carrier to carrier subrogation files in varying lines of business including auto and medical/PIP.
8. Research the application of laws and statutes as it applies to specific claims in each state.
9. Communicate effectively with insured, general adjusters, claimants, witnesses, attorneys, experts and underwriters in order to obtain and or provide necessary information.
10. Determine appropriate claim amounts and review subrogation. Evaluate claims based on information and liability factors. Review legal expenses and recommend payment or make appropriate adjustments.
11. Negotiate liability ranges and arrange payment with insurance carriers and self-insured entities.
Auto insurance specific responsibilities:
• Responsible for identification and research of subrogation type claims (Auto claims, overpayments for duplicate coverage, workers' compensation, Medical and no-fault claims) to determine if there is potential third-party liability.
• Review claim files to evaluate collection potential and develop strategies for each recovery.
• Identify legal liability in order to pursue, negotiate, and settle subrogation.
• Interaction with insurance adjustors, attorneys, government offices, municipalities and DOT Offices
• Interacts with policyholders, claimants and witnesses when necessary in order to bring a file to successful conclusion
• Corresponding with parties against whom subrogation claims are to be made, negotiating payment plans, when necessary.
The above statements are intended to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees within this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this job. Employees in this job may perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements (Education, Experience, Skills):
1. High school diploma or GED. Some college coursework preferred
2. Three to five years of proven subrogation or claims experience that includes substantial exposure to carrier to carrier claims is preferred
3. Ability to type 30 WPM with 85% accuracy
4. General knowledge of court filing, responding and counter claiming is expected.
5. Previous experience using Microsoft Office products
6. Successful completion of relevant insurance industry courses strongly preferred
7. Property, medical pay and workers’ compensation experience is preferred
8. Special investigative expertise preferred
9. Must possess above average oral and written communication skills
10. Ability to work independently
11. Strong analyzing and negotiating techniques
12. Excellent organizational and time-management skills
13. Demonstrated ability to multi task with attention to detail
14. Responds to internal and external requests in a timely manner and works to deliver quality service
15. Seeks clarification for unclear or missing information
16. Demonstrated reasoning and problem solving abilities
Afni, Inc. is a U.S.-based, global Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) firm representing the world’s best brands in insurance, telecommunications, satellite and cable, financial services, technology, and healthcare.
From engagement centers in several U.S. and Philippines locations, Afni supports its client’s customers in a variety of channels. With a history dating to 1936, Afni is a strong partner in communities where its employees work and live.